Connect with us

POLITICS

Attack on President Mnangagwa, two people dead

Published

on

Attack on President Mnangagwa

Two people injured in Saturday’s attack on President Mnangagwa at a campaign rally in Zimbabwe’s second city of Bulawayo have died, a medical officer has said.

Solwayo Ngwenya, clinical director of the city’s Mpilo hospital in the city, told AFP other victims had life-threatening injuries.

At least 49 people, including President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s two deputies, were injured in the blast. He said it was an attempt on his life ahead of the 30 July election.

This is the first poll since long-time leader Robert Mugabe was forced from power last year. Mr Mnangagwa has vowed that the attack would not derail the election.

He is favourite to win the poll, but analysts say he also has enemies – both for overthrowing his former mentor and for being a previous enforcer of Mr Mugabe’s government.

His main rival, Nelson Chamisa, has also condemned the attack on President Mnangagwa.

The president told state media that an object “exploded a few inches away from me – but it is not my time”. “I am used to these attempts,” he added.
The names of the dead have not been released but one is reported to work for Vice-President Constatino Chiwenga.

Eight senior officials suffered non-life-threatening injuries. Video footage from White City Stadium, where the campaign event was being held, shows an explosion happening close to the president as he leaves the stage after addressing supporters.

His spokesman said that while the president was unhurt, Vice-President Kembo Mohadi suffered a leg injury, while Mr Vice-President Chiwenga received bruises to his face.

The campaign rally in Bulawayo was Mr Mnangagwa’s first in the city, which is an opposition stronghold.
BBC

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

10 + 12 =

CRIME

Augustine Chihuri challenges order to explain wealth

Published

on

Augustine Chihuri

Augustine Chihuri wants to nullify a High Court order forcing him to explain his wealth, links and interest in a swathe of companies, and that he and his family acquired large property holdings and other assets.

He approached the High Court last week after all his known Zimbabwean assets were placed under management, while he must explain his link to the companies and properties which the State listed for potential forfeiture.

Chihuri is being accused of side-tracking US$32 million of public funds into family companies and buying properties. The order, which the National Prosecuting Authority obtained at the High Court last month, also encumbered Chihuri and the family’s various properties which were simultaneously placed under the management of the Asset Management Unit.

Chihuri, who is being represented by Kantor and Immerman law firm, argues that when the order was granted neither he nor others listed were given any prior notice of the proceedings, or given an opportunity to respond to the allegations that allegedly support the unexplained wealth order.
The order made is an ex parte order, that is one made without the other party aware.

It provides instant relief, albeit on a temporary basis and usually issued when immediate relief is needed and when scheduling a regular hearing and providing notice to the other party is not feasible.

Chihuri argues that the unexplained wealth order constituted a “gross irregularity and a fundamental breach of their legal rights” and wants the High Court to declare certain provisions of the Money Laundering and Proceeds of Crime (Amendment) Act, 2019, infringe the constitution.

“It is my respectful submission that once it is found, as it should be, that the provisions of the Act in terms of which unexplained wealth order was sought and granted are constitutionally invalid, then good cause undoubtedly exist for the setting aside of the unexplained wealth order as it is an incurably bad law,” said Chihuri.

In challenging the constitutionality of the impugned provisions of the Act at the High Court, Chihuri and his family rely on a constitutional provision that gives courts subordinate to the Constitutional Court the power to make constitutional declarations and to pronounce as invalid, offensive pieces of legislation, although any such finding is subject to confirmation by the Constitutional Court.

Chihuri argues that if for any reason, the High Court does not wish to consider the constitutional matter, then the constitutional questions he is raising should be referred to the Constitutional Court for determination.

The State seeks to freeze Chihuri’s companies and the properties, which his family acquired during his 25 years at the helm of the police force, pending the final outcome of possible criminal investigations and civil suits.

Justice Felistas Chatukuta last month granted an application by Prosecutor-General Mr Kumbirai Hodzi for an order forcing Chihuri and his wife, Isobel Halima Khan, to explain how they acquired their properties and to interdict them from having any dealings with the companies.
Chihuri and his co-respondents listed on the application did not contest the application.

Chihuri’s daughter Samantha Hamadziripi Chihuri, and son Ethan Takudzwa Augustine Chihuri were listed as respondents in the application along with relatives Aitken and Netsai Khan and the six companies — Croxile Investments, Adamah Enterprises, Mastermedia (Pvt) Ltd, Mastaw Investments and Rash Marketing. The companies won orders for the supply of goods and services without going to tender.

According to the uncontested order, Chihuri is required to explain his relationship with Nodpack Investments (Pvt) Ltd, Croxile Investments (Pvt) Ltd, Mastaw Investments (Pvt) Ltd, Rewstand Enterprises (Pvt) Ltd, Rash Marketing (Pvt) Ltd and Adamah Enterprises (Pvt) Ltd. The Herald

Continue Reading

BUSINESS

Zimbabwe government suspends mobile money transactions

Published

on

Nick Mangwana

Zimbabwe government has, with immediate effect, suspended all monetary transactions on phone-based mobile money platforms to facilitate investigations that will lead to the arrest and prosecution of people responsible for sabotaging the economy.

In a statement this evening, Secretary for Information, Publicity and Broadcasting Services, Mr Nick Mangwana, said the measures will include the suspension of all trading on the Zimbabwe Stock Exchange.

The suspension will be in place until mobile money platforms have been reformed to their original purpose and when all the present phantom rates have converged into one “genuine rate that is determined by market forces under the foreign currency auction system which was launched by the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe” on June 23. Operational modalities and details of the envisaged measures will be announced by the relevant monetary, regulatory and law enforcement authorise in the next few days.

The government will ensure that prudent measures are put in place to mitigate and prevent any collateral damage that the interventions may cause to the innocent public that was using the mobile money platforms. The Herald.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Joanna Mamombe, activists released on bail

Published

on

Joanna Mamombe

Zimbabwe’s High Court has released on bail Joanna Mamombe and two activists who say they were tortured and sexually assaulted by state agents but were later arrested for allegedly faking the ordeal last month.

The women – Joana Mamombe, a member of Parliament of the Movement for Democratic Change Alliance (MDC-Alliance), and party youth activists Cecilia Chimbiri and Netsai Marova – were arrested earlier in June from their lawyer’s office. They were there to discuss another case in which they were charged for staging a protest in May.

The three women were admitted to hospital with multiple injuries after they were arrested in that case and said they had been taken to a location out of town by unidentified men who allegedly beat them and sexually assaulted one of them.

The court on Friday ordered them to report three times a week to a police station and surrender their passports as part of the bail conditions.
They also cannot “communicate whether directly or otherwise with any section of the public or private media, including social media, in connection with the matter” until the case is over, Judge Davison Foroma said.

“What’s critical is that they have been granted bail. However, we are concerned about their safety,” party spokeswoman Fadzai Mahere told journalists.

President Emmerson Mnangagwa and the minister in charge of police, Kazembe Kazembe, have claimed that the women fabricated the story of their abductions as part of a wider plot to destabilise the government.

The women face a prison term or a fine after being accused of making false statements to police “alleging that they had been unlawfully detained or kidnapped by some unknown people who claimed to be police officers”.Political tensions are high in Zimbabwe, where inflation above 750 per cent is stoking anti-government sentiment.

The High Court dismissed a separate case in which the opposition party is seeking the eviction of a splinter faction of the party which took over its headquarters in the capital, Harare, with the help of security forces. Al Jazeera

Continue Reading

Trending