Connect with us

DIASPORA

Queen Elizabeth II hosts Zim born Janine Potts at Royal Garden Party

Published

on

Janine Potts

Chief Petty Officer Janine Potts and her mum Florence enjoyed a day to remember as guests of Her Majesty The Queen at the second of three garden parties held during May in the beautiful gardens of Buckingham Palace.

Janine, who joined the Royal Navy from Zimbabwe in July 2001, was one of over 110 guests from across the Naval Service who attend a Royal Garden Party this year, all specially selected in reward and recognition of their hard work and dedication.

Nominated by their managers, from across all ranks and rates, the invitations are awarded a plus one, recognising that it’s families too that go the extra mile in support of loved ones.

Janine’s recommendation singles her out as “an exemplary senior rate” and recognises her dedication to the Royal Navy and support to others.

Passionate about breaking barriers and helping others, Janine has served at sea in numerous assignments and on operations in Iraq, Afghanistan and Bahrain.

She is Chair of the Naval Service Commonwealth Network and as her citation states “has been instrumental in championing the particular issues that personnel from Commonwealth and Non-British nationalities face when seeking careers in the Naval Service.”

It recognises that she has devoted much of her spare time and applied her wealth of service knowledge and lived experience to helping with individual cases and supporting those coming to the UK to serve.

She has also been directly responsible for many positive solutions that have helped keep our valued people retained in service.

Janine thoroughly enjoyed her day and said: “What an honour it was to spend the afternoon at Buckingham Palace, I made my mum and family so proud.

“It doesn’t matter about your rank or rate, hard work and determination can get an organisation to change for the better.

“We all have the power to make a difference – it could be you! I hope my view of life will inspire others.”

Proud mum Florence Burl said: ‘It was amazing! Being so close to the Queen – wow! The Duchess of Cambridge actually said hello to me.

“You can’t buy this opportunity or explain the feeling I had being there when I go back to work – will they believe me?”

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge joined The Queen to host approx. 8,000 guests, including nominees from across the Naval Service, Royal Fleet Auxiliary and Royal Navy and Royal Marines Widows Association.Royal Navy

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

one + 16 =

CRIME

Wilfred Marodza raped woman four times in the park

Published

on

Wilfred Marodza

Wilfred Marodza, a trainee solicitor at a top law firm who repeatedly raped a young woman after stalking her and dragging her to a park is facing years in prison.

Marodza, 28, pounced on the victim, in her twenties, in the early hours of July 20 as she walked along Great Dover Street in Borough, grabbing on to her neck and threatening her as he forced her into a secluded part of Dickens Fields.

He then stripped her and raped her four times before she managed to break free, Inner London crown court heard.

She fled naked through the street with Wilfred Marodza in pursuit, as he claimed to bystanders they were having a “domestic” before she managed to escape in a passing minicab.

Marodza, a trainee solicitor with firm Cripps Pemberton Greenish, had been drinking in the area before carrying out the attack at 2.15am and struck again less than two hours later.

He grabbed another woman, also in her twenties, from behind in Borough High Street and put his hand over her mouth, attempting to drag her into a side street. However, the woman screamed and Wilfred Marodza fled.

Police were able to catch him because he left his rucksack, with his work identification inside, at the scene.

CPS prosecutor Nahid Mannan said: “This was a horrendous attack on two young, lone females. The prosecution case included compelling evidence showing Marodza dragging the two victims to secluded areas and also chasing the naked victim he had just raped.

“Marodza also left his rucksack containing his work identification at the scene of the rape, allowing police to easily identify him.

“The CPS takes crimes against women extremely seriously and I hope this conviction goes some way to provide the victims with a degree of closure.”

At court yesterday, Wilfred Marodza, a Zimbabwean national from Eastbourne in East Sussex, pleaded guilty to four counts of rape, kidnapping and a charge of committing an offence with the intent to commit a sexual offence.

He was remanded in custody by Judge Nigel Seed QC until a sentencing hearing next month.

Gavin Tyler, the managing partner at Cripps Pemberton Greenish, said: “We are completely appalled to learn of Wilfred Marodza’s conviction for such shocking offences. We were informed by the police in July of the arrest and that he was remanded in custody but did not know anything about the details of the offences until today. Our thoughts, of course, are with the victims and their families.

“Although there were never any concerns raised internally regarding Mr Marodza, we are offering support for staff members who worked closely with him or who feel affected by the news for any other reason.” The Standard

Continue Reading

DIASPORA

Five people killed,189 arrested so far in Johannesburg violence

Published

on

Johannesburg Xenophobic Violence

Five people have been killed and 189 arrested in a spate of Johannesburg xenophobic violence that has rocked parts of the city since Sunday, police confirmed on Tuesday.

The five deaths have led to police deploying more police officers in areas identified as hot spots.

The latest killings were of two South Africans who were shot in Coronationville on Tuesday afternoon.

“Police have increased deployments to cover all the areas identified as hot spots of violence that have seen several shops being looted, burned and the property being looted,” said police spokesperson Col Lungelo Dlamini.

He said the situation had been stabilised in parts of the Tshwane, Ekurhuleni, Johannesburg Central, Jeppestown and Cleveland policing areas.

This was, however, not the case in Coronationville, as violent clashes continued and claimed the lives of two South Africans on Tuesday.

The clashes forced Gauteng premier David Makhura to leave a meeting between police minister Bheki Cele and those affected by the recent violence and rush to the area to call for calm.

Apart from these two murders, two killings were reported in Hillbrow and one near the Jeppe hostel.

Police had, however, made arrests in connection with the outbreaks of violence.

“A total of 189 arrests have been effected since Sunday,” said Dlamini.

Those arrests are facing a raft of charges, ranging from charges which include public violence, malicious damage to property, theft, and business break-ins.

Police said they were forced to fire rubber bullets to disperse a group of people who planned to loot businesses in Thokoza and Kempton Park in the early hours of Tuesday.

Dlamini said the spate of violent incidents led to criminals gangs taking advantage of the chaotic situation and breaking into businesses, not only those belonging to foreign nationals but also other businesses.

A process to identify leaders of the protests was underway.

“In the meantime, police are identifying the leaders of these violent groups and will be arrested them once full evidence against them has been gathered,” said Dlamini.

Gauteng police commissioner Lt-Gen Elias Mawela thanked members of the public who provided information to assist the police in dealing with violent situations.

Mawela has also assured the public that no unlawful activities will be tolerated.

“All our members are on the ground to deal with criminality,” he said.TimesLive

Continue Reading

CRIME

Kid Lyrik a.k.a. Kudzai Mawunganidze speaks out

Published

on

Kudzai Mawunganidze Kid Lyrik

Kid Lyrik – real name Kudzai Mawunganidze – has revealed how drug dealing got him deported from the United States.

Kid Lyrik (27) who was in the US since the age of eight staying in Texas was deported last year in October after being arrested by undercover police during a cocaine drug deal.

He was also caught in possession of four kilogrammes of marijuana.

Like most rappers in the US, who start off as drug dealers and then pursue their music professionally to becoming stars, Kid Lyrik had seen himself take the same path.

Kid Lyrik, who is now staying with his uncle in Marlborough in the capital, opened up about his gangster lifestyle that included, drug dealing, women, owning a gun and getting intoxicated basically on a daily basis.

“I left Zimbabwe when I was eight, at that time I was staying with my grandmother in Chitungwiza, both my parents’ were already in the US.
“I was staying in Texas-Dallas and over the years, I became good friends with many cowboys, some who later who became my marijuana suppliers.

“I considered drugs after I lost my dad in 2009, I was very close to him than I was to my mom and losing at a time when I was graduating from high school the next year kind of affected me.

“My dad had separated with my mom and he had moved back to Zimbabwe where he died.

“From there I started taking drugs then went to selling marijuana.

“I would take cocaine too but it wasn’t my trade,” he said.

He said he had two accomplices that helped him sell the marijuana, his two girlfriends he stayed with, one named Kara and other Sally Gee.
He added he slept like a king, as he would get sexually engaged to both of both at the same time (three-some).

“I met these two girls when they were already dating each other, they were bisexual and after the three of us clicked everything was good.

“They would do anything for me from selling marijuana to just anything.

“It was also good business having the two girls play front as it brought in many customers.

“I was making around a thousand dollars a week a selling one gramme for ten dollars.

“I wasn’t rich but it was good money, I was comfortable and lived the lifestyle I wanted.

“I was also making around US$150 a day from my Snapchat account,” he said.

As a drug dealer, Kid Lyrik said he also owned a gun and at some point had three guns that he used a couple of times.

Kid Lyrik said he was growing popular around Texas with his music, which he produced and wrote on his own.

He became popular, got the attention around Texas and was performing at small and big events in the city.

“My music was basically about drugs, sex and money but I always wanted my music to have a deeper meaning combining that, so I started to teach myself sociology and psychology.

“As a rapper, I knew it would take me global.”

However, his music-gangster lifestyle came to an end when he was arrested.

He spent nine months behind bars and from there he was deported back to Zimbabwe.

“I never saw myself coming to Zimbabwe I just thought after my release I am going back to my lifestyle.

“I wrote a lot of music whilst I was in prison and it’s all on my upcoming EP entitled “The irony of contradiction”

“I produced the EP with the help of my young brother Blawu.”

Kid Lyrik still strongly believes he can go global with his music and has recently released a song entitled “Coming to America” produced by Oskid.

“The song is about me going back to America, not physical since I was deported but going back to America in the sense of my music playing in America.

“I was already making ‘noise’ in Texas with great potential of blowing up in other states in America and that dream for me still lives on.
“I have great faith I will make it with my music.

“I also want to study sociology and psychology majoring in mass communication, hopefully, next year I start my studies,” he said.H-Metro

Continue Reading

Trending