Connect with us

NEWS

Trish Garikayi throws engagement ring at ex in court

Published

on

Trish Garikayi

Trish Garikayi hurled her engagement at her partner in court today after being ordered to repay him more than £100,000 following an alleged affair.

Trish Garikayi, 37, said she was given a Porsche 911 and a £100,000 diamond bracelet by love-struck businessman Wisdom Penfold, 58.

But he claimed he caught her having an affair with another man and their bitter financial dispute ended up in court.

A judge today ruled she “misappropriated” money Mr Penfold entrusted to her when blinded by love.

Trish Garikayi now must pay £116,000, in addition to crushing lawyers’ bills.

The nurse has to also hand him 20% of her £340,000 home.

But Garikayi hurled her £2,500 engagement ring across the courtroom towards her ex-fiance. Mr Penfold calmly picked it up and handed it to his solicitor.

Judge Alexander Hill-Smith said she had her “eyes firmly on winning the case”.

“I unhesitatingly prefer the evidence of Mr Penfold… he gave his evidence in a careful way.

“I find his account of the break-up of the relationship, his returning to the house, his reaction to it, going to A&E and being badly affected, compelling.

“Her account of the breakdown of the relationship was very unspecific.

“His written statement is thorough and comprehensive and presents a coherent account of what occurred.”

The Central County Court in London heard how Garikayi earlier claimed to be a “kept woman” and insisted that the money, like the luxury goods he lavished upon her, was a non-returnable gift.

The court heard Mr Penfold, a tree importer and exporter, found his partner with a doctor in their home near Guildford, Surrey.

The court heard £218,000 had been paid into Garikayi’s account after Mr Penfold sold two investment properties.

Insisting the money was a gift, she said that, throughout the relationship, “if I wanted something, I would get it”.

“As far as the discussion I had with Wisdom, they were gifts to me.

“We were in love, the relationship was strong at that point. So there was no need for me to question or query.”

Her lawyer, Chike Ezike, added: “The nature of the relationship was one where Mr Penfold bestowed and showered Miss Garikayi with lavish gifts.”

But it’s alleged Garikayi spent some of the cash on herself and £91,000 to buy a property in Harare, Zimbabwe, without his permission.

Mr Penfold’s lawyers say they will be seeking £62,000 in costs against Miss Garikayi, and the judge ordered her to pay £30,000 of that within 21 days.

Mirror

NEWS

Kembo Mohadi resigns amid sex scandal

Published

on

Kembo Mohadi sex scandal

Zimbabwe Vice President Kembo Mohadi resigned on Monday following local media reports he had engaged in improper conduct.

Kembo Mohadi, along with Constantino Chiwenga, was a deputy to President Emmerson Mnangagwa since 2018, but without a political power base, he was not seen as a potential successor to the president.

In a rare move by a public official in Zimbabwe, Kembo Mohadi said he had taken the decision to step down “not as a matter of cowardice but as a sign of demonstrating great respect to the office of the President”.

I have been going through a soul-searching pilgrimage and realised that I need the space to deal with my problem outside the governance chair,” he said in a statement released by the Ministry of Information.

Local online media service ZimLive has in the past two weeks carried reports that Kembo Mohadi had improper sexual liaisons with married women, including one of his subordinates.

Mohadi, 70, denied the accusations last week saying this was part of a political plot against him. On Monday he continued to deny the accusations saying he would seek legal recourse.

Continue Reading

BUSINESS

Zimbabwe agrees to pay $3.5 billion compensation to white farmers

Published

on

Zimbabwe White Farmers

Zimbabwe agreed on Wednesday to pay $3.5 billion in compensation to Zimbabwe white farmers whose land was expropriated by the government to resettle black families, moving a step closer to resolving one the most divisive policies of the Robert Mugabe era.

But the southern African nation does not have the money and will issue long term bonds and jointly approach international donors with the farmers to raise funding, according to the compensation agreement.

Two decades ago Mugabe’s government carried out at times violent evictions of 4,500 Zimbabwe white farmers and redistributed the land to around 300,000 Black families, arguing it was redressing colonial land imbalances.

The agreement signed at President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s State House offices in Harare showed white farmers would be compensated for infrastructure on the farms and not the land itself, as per the national constitution.

Details of how much money each farmer, or their descendants, given the time elapsed since the farms were seized, was likely to get were not yet clear, but the government has said it would prioritise the elderly when making the settlements.

Farmers would receive 50% of the compensation after a year and the balance within five years. Finance Minister Mthuli Ncube and acting Agriculture Minister Oppah Muchinguri-Kashiri signed on behalf of the government, while farmers unions and a foreign consortium that undertook valuations also penned the agreement.

“As Zimbabweans, we have chosen to resolve this long-outstanding issue,” said Andrew Pascoe, head of the Commercial Farmers Union representing  Zimbabwe white farmers.

The land seizures were one of Mugabe’s signature policies that soured ties with the West. Mugabe, who was ousted in a coup in 2017 and died last year, accused the West of imposing sanctions on his government as punishment.

The programme still divides public opinion in Zimbabwe as opponents see it as a partisan process that left the country struggling to feed itself. But its supporters say it has empowered landless Black people. Mnangagwa said the land reform could not be reversed but paying of compensation was key to mending ties with the West. Reuters

Continue Reading

NEWS

Chinamasa calls U.S. ambassador ‘thug’ as anti-government protests loom

Published

on

Chinamasa

Zimbabwe’s ruling ZANU-PF party on Monday called the United States ambassador a “thug” and accused him of funding the opposition ahead of this week’s planned anti-government protests that authorities say are meant to overthrow the government.

Without providing evidence, ZANU-PF spokesman Patrick Chinamasa told reporters that U.S. ambassador to Harare, Brian Nichols, was involved in subversive activities to topple President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s government.

Chinamasa’s comments echo the Robert Mugabe era, where the ZANU-PF government regularly accused the United States and Britain of seeking to dislodge it from power.

“He (Nichols) continues to engage in acts of undermining this republic and if he does so, if he continues engaging in acts of mobilising and funding disturbances, coordinating violence and training insurgents, our leadership will not hesitate to give him marching orders,” Chinamasa said.
“Diplomats should not behave like thugs, and Brian Nichols is a thug.”

The U.S. embassy in Harare did not immediately respond to Chinamasa’s comments. Political tensions are rising fast in the southern African nation after activists called for demonstrations on July 31 against government corruption, which they blame for deepening the worst economic crisis in more than a decade.

Last month, the government summoned Nichols after a senior White House official said Zimbabwe was among “foreign adversaries” using the civil unrest in the United States following the death of George Floyd to interfere in U.S. affairs.

The U.S., Britain, E.U. embassies and the United Nations have all criticised Zimbabwe for the arrest of journalists and political challengers.
Relations between Zimbabwe and the West were promising when Mnangagwa replaced Mugabe after a coup in 2017, but have soured over the government’s human rights record.

Patrick Chinamasa urged party supporters to defend themselves from protesters and avoid a repeat of the deadly violence that followed post-election demonstrations in August 2018 and the January 2019 protests over a steep fuel price hike.“No, this time no. Use any means at your disposal to defend yourselves,” Chinamasa said. Organisers say this week’s protests will be peaceful. Reuters

Continue Reading

Trending